Submitted by Communications Team on July 17, 2020 - 5:15pm
As we have expressed many times, our goal at Special Tree remains first and foremost to do all we can to slow or prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus and to keep our clients, staff, and communities healthy and safe. At ALL Special Tree locations, our continued strategies to follow universal precautions, wisely use PPE, and follow the latest CDC recommendations are more critical than ever to protect our clients and staff. Our COVID-19 team continues to meet frequently and to assess our COVID-19 related decisions and protocols.
Here are the latest updates:
- Mandatory weekly testing continues for all clients and staff at the NeuroCare Campus (NCC) due to our facility location being in a medium or higher risk region. During our third round of weekly testing this week, there have been no positive COVID-19 test results for clients or staff. Since mandatory testing began on July 1st, we've had no NCC clients test positive. The State of Michigan mandates weekly testing of all NCC clients and staff until there are no new positive cases at the facility for 28 consecutive days.
- Two Outpatient clients at the Wayne Industrial Operations Center have tested positive for COVID-19. Special Tree activated COVID-19 safety protocols including closing the facility, contact tracing and testing of all exposed staff and clients, disinfecting the facility, and other safety measures to prevent the spread of the virus. The COVID-19 team is closely monitoring the situation and is awaiting test results to determine when to safely reopen. The facility will remain closed until at least Monday, July 27th.
- There are no active cases of COVID-19 at the Troy Neuro Skills Center, however one potential exposure case was reported with a student in the Discover Summer program. The COVID-19 team determined the transmission risk was very low, but activated safety protocols which require confirmation of the student's COVID-19 test result before participating in the program.
- There are currently no in-room quarantines or active isolations at NCC. A 14-day quarantine is still required for all new client admissions and readmissions at NCC.
- The Heavlin Residence at our NeuroCare Campus is scheduled to reopen on July 27th! Several clients from NCC are transferring to Heavlin and will continue their therapy at the NCC inpatient therapy gym.
- Wayne County Outpatient Therapy, which has been temporarily suspended since July 1st, will resume on Monday, July 20th at the NeuroCare Campus for Outpatient and Wayne Residential clients. Safety protocols are in place to prevent our inpatient and outpatient clients from interacting.
- The Discover Summer program, which kicked-off on July 7th, is going so well that the Pediatric Rehabilitation team has extended it for another week! Teens in the program will be doing their pre-vocational work training at the Troy Neuro Skills Center throughout the summer instead of our Industrial Operations Center in Wayne due to current safety protocols at the facility.
- As a reminder, visitor restrictions at NCC and Residential continue through July 24th. These comply with the Executive Orders currently in place through the State of Michigan.
- Due to visitor restrictions, the Oakland/Macomb and Wayne Day Treatment programs for Residential clients remain on hold at least through July 24th.
- We are aggressively managing our supply of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and following best practices for disinfecting and cleaning at all of our facilities.