Submitted by admin on June 15, 2015 - 11:57am
Aquatic therapy is a big part of our Discover Summer program for kids and teens with brain injury. Every week, staff and kids from our Romulus and Troy programs head to the local pool to take advantage of the many therapeutic benefits of swimming and playing in the water. Here’s a quick snapshot of what kids are learning while they splish, splash, dive, and swim at the pool.
- Staff reinforce poolside and water safety.
- Kids have the opportunity to acclimate and gain water confidence in an encouraging setting.
- Time in the pool helps to increase kid’s cardiovascular endurance, strengthen muscles, and improve gross-motor skill functioning.
- Water play is a positive leisure activity that can help reduce stress.
- Water activities promote positive interactions with peers.
- Kids focus on dressing, personal hygiene, and grooming.